Posts for: May, 2017
What your gastroenterologist in Roswell wants you to know
There are many causes of stomach or abdominal pain, and one of the most persistent causes is a condition known as irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS. Irritable bowel syndrome can be managed successfully. It should be treated by a gastroenterologist. Dr. Melvin Bullock wants to share the facts about IBS and treatment. He has three convenient office locations in Roswell, Suwanee, and Atlanta, GA, to help you feel better.
Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic condition affecting your large intestine. The condition is thought to be related to abnormal functioning of your gastrointestinal nervous system. The muscles lining the walls of your intestines don’t move the way they should, resulting in impaired movement of food from your stomach through your intestinal tract.
Some common signs and symptoms of IBS include:
- Abdominal cramping and pain
- Bloating and gas
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Mucus in stools
If you have irritable bowel syndrome, there are triggers which may make your symptoms worse. You need to pay attention to:
- Certain foods including chocolate, spices, fats, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, fruits, milk, carbonated beverages and alcohol
- Increased stress levels or hormonal changes
Dr. Bullock may suggest several effective treatments to lessen your symptoms of IBS including:
- Changes in your diet, eliminating gas-producing foods such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, raw fruits and carbonated liquids; you may also want to eliminate gluten and foods containing high amounts of sugars like fructose and lactose.
- Medications to manage symptoms including fiber supplements, anti-diarrheal medications, medications to reduce intestinal spasms and antibiotics
- Medications to treat severe cases of IBS including Alosetron to relax the colon, and Lubiprostone to increase secretion of fluid and help pass stools more easily
If you think you might be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, you don’t have to deal with it alone. It’s time for some help from an expert. It’s time to call Dr. Bullock with three convenient office locations in Roswell, Suwanee, and Atlanta, GA. Feel better tomorrow by calling today!