Posts for: August, 2017
What your gastroenterologist in Roswell wants you to know
If you are suffering from acid reflux, a condition commonly called heartburn, you are not alone. In fact, according to the American College of Gastroenterology, over 60 million Americans experience symptoms of chronic acid reflux. You don’t want to be one of them! Dr. Melvin Bullock in Roswell, GA wants to share the facts about acid reflux and what you can do about it.
If you suffer from occasional bouts of acid reflux, that’s normal, but if you have chronic acid reflux, you may have gastro-esophageal reflux disease or GERD. Some signs and symptoms of chronic acid reflux or GERD include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal or chest pain
- A dry cough or frequent wheezing
- Frequent pain or problems with your throat
- Chronic bad breath and a sour taste in your mouth
- Erosion of your tooth enamel and tooth sensitivity
There is a sphincter muscle located between your esophagus and your stomach. It closes off to prevent excess stomach acid from traveling up your esophagus. When this sphincter muscle doesn’t work correctly, it may stay open, and stomach acid can reach your esophagus, causing acid reflux.
So, how can you deal with acid reflux? It turns out, there are a few things you can do to cope with annoying symptoms. Remember to:
- Avoid lying down immediately after eating; stay up for at least 2 to 3 hours after you eat
- Avoid spicy foods and eat small meals several times daily
- Limit citrus, tomatoes, and carbonated drinks
- Maintain a healthy weight by eating a healthy diet
- Avoid belts and exercises that put pressure on your abdomen
- Avoid tobacco, excess alcohol, coffee, and chocolate
- You can also try over-the-counter antacids to buffer excess stomach acid
If you think you have GERD, or your acid reflux doesn’t respond to conservative treatment, it’s time to visit Dr. Bullock. He can recommend diet and lifestyle changes, and prescription medications to eliminate excess stomach acid. Don’t suffer from acid reflux when relief is just a phone call away. Dr. Bullock in Roswell, GA is ready to help, so call today!